Thursday, November 12, 2009

Beginning...

I really don't know what I'm doing here, so please bear with me.  One of my greatest interests and passions is local Sarnia history, perhaps since we don't have a museum and I can see our history and our heritage being disbursed out of the city to the highest bidder.  Sarnia, as a city, is losing it's identity and it's rich and varied culture each and every day as artifacts are either sold or given to outside interests simply for want of a museum in which to house them in.  It grieves me to know that in order to thoroughly study the history of my hometown, I have to travel to London or Toronto, while in many of the smaller communities within Lambton County, residents have only to walk a few blocks to their local museums.

I spent a couple of days in Goderich, ON recently and was blown away by that town - they have not only decided to acknowledge their history and culture, they revel in preserving it to the point of putting much larger cities to shame.  They have a magnificent museum complex - the most impressive that I've ever seen - in a city that is filled with grand old homes in wonderful states of repair.  They take great pride in their heritage and it shows, not just in certain sections of the city, but throughout - and Sarnia is 10 times larger than Goderich!!

So, my mission is to establish this blog as a way - my own little way - of preserving what little pieces of my hometown that I can, while I can, with the hopes that someday we'll have a proper place within our city to show-off our unique past and it's very important place in not only Canadian history, but world history.

No comments:

Post a Comment